Thursday, September 16, 2010

    As my time in Bandung draws to a close, I'm beginning to get a bit nostalgic for the weeks I've spent exploring the city.  This creeping nostalgia has obviously infilitrated to the point where I'll even miss the sounds of screeching children frolicking in the Sheraton's pool. However only one little man has managed to capture my heart

This little bundle of asian baby goodness belongs to one of the awesome women running my program. If it wasn't going to put my stipend at risk. I would definitely get knocked up by an Indonesian man so I could maybe have a kid this cute.
Looking back on it, my time here has been overridden with incredibly cute children. Take this Angklung performance for example. Angklung is a musical instument made of out of two bamboo tubes attatched to a bamboo frame. It's basically the bamboo version of the Gamelan, and the Sundanese ( the main ethnic group of this part of Java) perfected it. There is  a school here in Bandung that specializes in Angklung, Wayang Golek and traditional dance, so when we were invited to a performance I was basically acting like a raver on a mix of E and speed. I was going to post  some footage of the children's Angklung orchestra, but my internet refuses to ever upload the videos. I was too giddy during the Wayang Golek performance , which is a type of wooden rod puppetry, to take any footage but it was pretty breathtaking. So here are some pictures instead.




In a few days I'll be settling into to my new and final home here in Indonesia. If my time in Makassar is a  tenth as good as this day was, I know the next 8 months are going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment