Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Learn to Squat

      Let me preface today's post by explaining the ways in which this blog's title are misleading. Some of you might have noticed that you are in fact not getting a paige a day. I'm actually averaging more like a paige every 3 to 4 days.  Frankly I feel that this is overkill, but I am currently gifted with the Sheraton Bandung's ridiculously fast and free internet, so i'm taking advantage while possible.  In about 11 days all of this might come to an end, because if I have to walk to an warnet ( internet cafe) during the rainy season, it might be more like a paige every week/week and a half.
     In other news, everyone around me is getting sick. Basically the ETAs are dropping like flies, we were down about 5 people today, lost to pooping or throwing up or both. I'm starting to feel like my days as a healthy person are numbered.
     Instead of my daily schedule of three hours of Bahasa Indonesia class and three hours of english teaching pedagogy, AMINEF shook things up by having us attend culture class. Needless to say no one was exciting at the prospect of being lectured to for 3 hours post-lunch. And then we met Ibu Irid, the most hysterical 64-year old Indonesian woman to grace this earth. Upon arriving she asked all of the ETAs to offer up what they like a dislike about Indonesia/Indonesians. Not surprisingly the list basically could have been titled " reasons Indonesia is not America" but I digress. Ibu Irid offered to bits of wisdom I would like to share today.
On how Indonesians  and Americans think about expressing their immediate impressions : Indonesians-" you're fat...it's cultural, not personal". Americans-" you look like a terrorist...it's cultural, not personal"
And most important of all:
" learn to squat. If there is any skill that is most important for your time in Indonesia it is to learn to squat".
Well said Ibu Irid, well said.

Coming soon, Idul Fitri, my ticking biological clock and fish pedicures.

* Ibu is Bahasa Indonesian for mother or Mrs.*

No comments:

Post a Comment